Just because you can see your desktop site on a mobile phone doesn’t mean it’s “mobile-friendly”.
Mobile sites are designed specifically for small screens, with the needs of mobile users in mind. A mobile-friendly site can help your business connect with customers and drive conversions.
Mobile Website Best Practice
- Keep it Quick – Mobile users are often short on time, design your site to load fast and make copy easy to read.
- Simplify Navigation – No one likes to be confused. Clear navigation and, on large or complex sites, search functionality, will help your customers.
- Be Thumb-friendly – Design your site so even large hands can easily interact with it.
- Design for Visibility – Make it easy for your customers to read – remember they may be in a place with low light.
- Make it Accessible – Ideally, your mobile site should work across all mobile devices and all handset orientations.
- Make it easy to Convert – No matter what your site’s objective is, your customers need to be able to do it with a virtual keyboard and no mouse.
- Make it Local – Include functionality that helps people find and get to you.
- Make it Seamless – Convert as much of the functionality of your desktop site to mobile as you can to create a seamless experience.
- Use Mobile Site Redirects – A mobile site redirect is code that can automatically tell if visitors are using a mobile device and send them to the mobile-friendly version of your site.
- Listen Learn and Iterate – Ask your desktop site users what they want in a mobile website and make testing and optimisation an ongoing process.
Here at PPLS Inc.™ we can build mobile versions of your website to ensure ease of use on popular mobile devices such as the iPhone and Blackberry.
Mobile versions of your website typically have the same content and structure but with a tweaked layout and design to ensure the content can be read easily by mobile users.
We can either build you a website specifically for a mobile audience or create a mobile version of your existing website containing all of the content the full version has but optimised for mobile devices.
You may also have a website which doesn’t work on an iPhone/iPad or other mobile device – this is often due to technology used to build your website (such as Flash) – we can fix this too!
Testing your website
Google have developed a great tool to allow you to test your website on a mobile device so you can see how your site will look to a mobile user – Click here >>