What is Social Media?
Social Media describes the technologies, platforms and methods in which users share content online.
Social Media relies on user-generated content and allows users to share, discuss and participate in the conversation. It also allows people or businesses to become both readers and publishers of content. Interaction also plays a key role in Social Media with communication between fellow users increasing content levels and further spreading the word.
Multiple levels of media
This content can come in many forms including; text, images, videos and audio. Online communities are also created through Social Media as like-minded individuals discuss their common interests.
Social Media is fast moving with a constant stream of new technologies being created allowing for greater interaction and new ways to share content online.
Below is a list of the most popular Social Media platform types:
- Social Networks – Social Networks are platforms designed for users to interact with one another and allow people to create personal profiles in which they can communicate with fellow users –most often friends, family or business associates. Social Networks allow users to chat and share content – be it through text, photo or video. Currently, the most popular social networking sites include Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and Bebo.
- Video Sharing – Video is a content medium that can be uploaded and shared online. A prime example would be YouTube. Users can comment on posted videos and increase viewer numbers through links, word of mouth and by uploading the video to other online portals/sites.
- Photo sharing – Photo sharing sites are becoming increasingly popular and allow users to upload and share their photographs or images online. These photos can then be shared across the web. A good example of a photo sharing website would be Flickr.
- Blogging/Forums – Blogs and forums are types of websites usually maintained by an individual, a business or an online community. The way in which a blog differs from a standard static website is in the regular updates or entries made. These can be made up of a multitude of things be it a running commentary, event updates, latest news or rich media. Blogs are also highly interactive and most blogs allow for readers to post comments or add to an article. Micro blogging is a more recent phenomenon allowing users to post very short text posts on a regular basis – Twitter is the best example of this.
- Social Bookmarking – Social bookmarking sites allow users to share their thoughts on content across the web. They can comment of all types of content whether it is an overall website, a blog post, a news article or even a photo or video. By publicly bookmarking this content it becomes suggested to other relevant users who in turn read and can also bookmark the item spreading it across the internet. Popular social bookmarking sites include: Digg, StumbleUpon, Reddit and del.icio.us.
This is certainly not a definitive list of all things Social Media, but it gives you an idea of the wide range of online mediums which are all grouped and incorporated into the common phrase ‘Social Media’.
“For the 7 years we have used PPLS Inc. we have always had first class service from them. No job was ever too much for them to help with and the communication from all the team was polite and friendly. A real credit to the field they specialise in”Shaun Richman, See My Baby
“PPLS Inc. have been hugely supportive during the expansion of our business. Knowing our website, email and marketing was being taken care of by people we trusted was a huge weight off our shoulders! We would recommend them to anyone!”Jon Cox, Patchwork Events
“Since work began with PPLS Inc., our success on-line has dramatically improved. The service we have received has been excellent, and we look forward to more future success.”Karl Middleton, Hugh Baird College, Liverpool
“The work you guys do has made a real difference to the amount of traffic coming through to the site. So much so that I work as an ambassador for you and have referred you to my contacts! Keep up the good work”Philip Lund, Timberwise
“It’s been a pleasure working with PPLS Inc.. They fully understood our requirements from the outset, drove the work forward and delivered to deadline. They have a real ‘can do’ attitude and provided good advice and guidance throughout. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them and would happily work with themCatrin Hughes, Care Council
“Really great working with PPLS Inc. and thanks for working to our demanding time schedule. I look forward to continuing the partnership!”Olivia Carmichael, Barts and The London Charity
“PPLS Inc. are quick to respond to all enquiries with insightful suggestions and always seem to turn things around in the short time we give them. The team are friendly, professional above all knowledgeable. The pricing is always fair and competitive. Looking forward to the next project guys. Thanks veryRob Jordan, Teaching Awards
“We have great communication with our project manager who exceeded our original brief with regard to creativity and design – and all within budget.”Donna Lund, Visit Chester & Cheshire
“PPLS have a winning combination of innovative thinking and good old fashioned customer care. Their service has been second to none and I recommend them to anyone wanting a really professional looking website”Hannah Charman, Veolia Environmental Services
“The staff at PPLS are approachable, attentive and a delight to work with”Sharon Christie, Brewsters
“Efficient service paired with excellent communication ensured we were always well informed and we were all struggling to keep up with the pace and efficiency of all at PPLS Inc.!”Neil Wilks, Auger
“Very professional and efficient – could not be happier with their work and looking forward to working with them again.”Annie White, Thomas Pink
“It’s been a pleasure to deal with PPLS Inc.. You quickly understood our objectives and turned that into outcomes. Your team have been a pleasure to work with. We look forward to continuing to work together in the future.”Lisa Quinlan-Rahman, Scope
“PPLS Inc. have enabled us to expand our online campaigns quickly and with no hassle whatsoever. PPLS Inc. have listened and taken the time to understand us & their swift response to our requests has made them almost an extension of our own team!”Ben Culling, RDI
“We are very happy with the blog based website PPLS Inc. set up for us, it’s been a great success with our clients and we have had very positive feedback for it.”Leanne Pearce, Withoutequal Photography
“Quite simply fabulous. The PPLS team have converted a luddite into an online aficionado. They will now be my first port of call for all things online!”Andrea Taylor, Unit Communications